I enjoyed this session. It turned out well considering all the obstacles. We had one player who was going to miss the beginning of the game, and a second who was struggling with the buggy as ever Open RPG application. Fortunately, we were able to work through the issues and still get a good two and a half hours of gaming in.
This session can be summarized as our ‘mass murder tutorial’ as that took the better part of an hour and half to hash through. You see, everything online takes double the time it does in a live game, with the exception of combat. Combat typically takes triple the time it should. Then we needed to go over how the combat actually worked.
I found myself feeling bad for the two players who opted out of the mass murder scene. Though they were doing very important things that we will get to at the beginning of next session, I wanted to focus on the mass murder in order to provide a proper tutorial. I really like where this session went, and I look forward to see where the players take it from here.
Things Made True
We started the session by discussing how we were going to handle transition from story to story. Those players who were in the game at the time, all agreed that it would be best to start most stories with three things true, and then allow wisdom risks to set the scene.
I gave the players the following
- It has been a month since Yavan Adrente’s tragic death
- It is a night of the full moon
- The setting remains within Alexai Yvarai’s province of Tryran Dur
The Players Gave Me
- Over the course of the month a few noteworthy ven have simply disappeared
- A Full Moon is a bad Omen in this part of Shanri
- Alexai’s betrothed has been in very deep mourning over the death of her beloved
- The player characters are meeting with the Arch Druid on the night of the full moon. (Style Spent)
- There are rumors of a mysterious mist rolling through the Domain of Baron Alexai Yvarai (Style Spent)
- The mist hides an ork tribe. (Style Spent)
- Born under a good omen or blessed by his patrons, Alexai has evaded the curse that was on his brother (Style Spent)
- A Blooded of the Bear (Dagul Burghe) from Na’Nal’Dun is among the missing Ven. (Style Spent)
In addition to the things stated at the beginning of the game, the following things were set as prominent story leads
- Talashan The Talashan (Archdruid) arrived through the tick of the forest, with a child hanging off his right hand, and a large yellow crystal within his left. A contested wisdom roll was made two two free wagers to discover more about the crystal, talashan and the boy.
- It was here that we determined that the boy was a veth child of Yavan Adrente’s.
- The Crystal is the reason why the mist and the ork tribe have come to this province.
- As the druid approaches the group of Ven, the child bursts into loud wails
- because he must suffer a terrible ritual to “save the lands”
- The crystal resonates in response to the childs cries
- The orc scouts can hear the child’s cries from some distance away
- The Talashan needs a blooded ven related to the child to perform the aforementioned ritual.
- The Archdruid is actually surprised by the response of the crystal to the childs wailing
- The Full Moon is making the ork crave the sound of the resonating crystal
- The Talashan’s understanding of the ritual is truly lacking.
The players also learn throughout their journey into the forest that the ritual that is about to take place, is to remove a threat left behind from the dreaded Sorcerer Kings, and that it involves some sort of ruins.
As mentioned above in the Things Made True, I started this session by giving them three things true to help set the story. A month had past since the last session. It was a full moon. The setting remains within the province of Tryran Dur.
The players in turn provided me with the important information. The players were going to meet with The Talashan (Archdruid) upon the night of the full moon. And so they gathered at the Rock of Three Hands at the edge of the forest in Tryran Dur. The Talashan eventually arrived, along with a mysterious boy and a yellow crystal. The boy was determined to be the illegitimate veth born child of Yavan Adrente. Both the boy and yellow crystal were said to be vital to whatever was to come of the night.
The Talashan spoke of saving the land again. Alexai Yvarai was growing frustrated with the Talashan’s puzzling phrases. Suhajka Jalan began to see that this was all linked, and very important. Gwanal Yvarai found herself quickly annoyed with the boys crying. Vanya Steele was able to calm him down, earning the boys trust. At least for a time.
As they began to enter the forest, the Talashan revealed the plan. Within the forest, there is a ruin of the Sorceror Kings that was a great threat to Shanri. He intended to banish this threat, with the help of the boy, the crystal and Alexai Yvarai, though he wasn’t able to place exactly how it would all work together.
As they went further into the forest, it became much thicker, and very hard to walk through. Despite the other’s difficulties, Maurevel Thorne moved through the forest with great ease. Alexai also had little trouble navigating the forest due to his familiarity with it. Gwanal tripped at the wrong time, and found herself cut in several places by branches with thorns.
Not long after, the group entered a clearing in the forest. The fog was still thick, making it very hard to see beyond a few feet ahead. It was here that the group would hear the sounds of battle. Both the boy and the Talashan dissapeared from the other’s view. Alexai managed to trip on one of his fallen roadman’s corpse. He was able to see teeth and claw marks. These were all hints of the dangerous threat of orks present.
Gwanal fled the threat range, assigning her personal guard to assist Alexai. Vanya moved to find the boy by getting a better vantage point of the area by finding higher ground.
Meanwhile, Maurevel, Suhajka and Gwanal’s Personal Guard formed up on Alexai’s back and prepared to face off against these deadly Orks.
There were four in total, appearing to be four legged creatures with sharp fangs and razor claws. Maurevel Thorne was the first to deliver a deadly blow as chaos spread around them. All three ven would land hits upon their enemy, but two would find themselves near death in the end. In the end, Alexai and half of Gwanal’s personal guard stood relatively unharmed, while the others found themselves gravely wounded. Suhajka took a deadly gash from right shoulder to left abdomen while Maurevel found himself dealing with a vicious fanged stab wound on his right shoulder.
As they gathered their wits, they realized that neither Gwanal or Vanya were within sight…
To Be Continued Next Week